On 02/20/2014 12:51 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 2/19/2014 8:30 PM, Paul Breneman wrote:
On 02/19/2014 03:06 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
any help is appreciated and thanks for reading this quite possibly
rambling post emanating from my scrambled brain cells...

FPC DOS is pretty easy for a console program, but it is 32-bit
(whereas DOS is
16-bit) so it isn't as simple as Turbo Pascal.

yes, that's what i'm seeing, too... i mean, the coding isn't a real
problem... but trying to handle data from old 16bit applications can be
problematic in some cases...

I think my most enjoyable work ever was during the past 3.5 years,
using Turbo
Pascal on expensive real-time embedded equipment.

i still get a lot of enjoyment with what i do with my old TP6 and BP7
installations... but i stay very basic in them for the most part... only
rarely have i used PChar (for example) or similar constructions... i
have been having fun with a new app i've been playing with for several
years that's written completely with FPC... lots of pointer suff for
strings and lists being used there... switching gears between the two
""styles"" is rough at times :)

There is a 5 MB zip here that should make it easy to get started with
FPC for DOS:
   http://www.turbocontrol.com/helloworld.htm

thank you, sir! i shall take a look :)

Please let me know if it helps. Simplicity seems more valuable to me all the time! :)

A week ago I shared with another Delphi programmer the info below about my recent Turbo Pascal project (and a little bit more).

I was able to have (a single set of) source code that was used for about 15 versions of about 6 different products. One batch file called about 15 batch files (one for each product/version) that compiled the source and compared the resulting executables against what had been shipped. I've done similar things before (but never had so much technical fun):
  http://brenemanlabs.com/SrcCtrl.htm

Every since C# got popular I enjoy meeting programmers who don't know much about Delphi. Look at the 6th message in this thread if you want to see my normal response:
  http://www.control.com/thread/1294638212

The bottom of this page has a little of my APro history:
  http://turbocontrol.com/APro.htm
Last month Embarcadero mentioned AsyncPro on their "devices and gadgets" XE5 seminar. I'm hoping to upgrade some of my APro examples soon.