> On Fri, 23 May 2014, Craig Peterson wrote:
>> The Info-zip project maintains an annotated Appnote that lists a bunch
>> of the extra fields that various vendors use here:
>> http://www.info-zip.org/doc/
> Strange then that the info-zip so often creates garbled filenames on
> Linux !
> Probably the used zipper doesn't use the extra fields.
Of course it doesn't use them. It has no unicode support.

> Since it is optional, we can probably add a WideString property to the
> zipitem and add an overloaded call;
> Then we don't need to recreate everything,
Recreate everything? Don't get what you mean here.

>just add the extra fields.
(Yes, IIRC, the zip64 fix added support for extra fields already so it
shouldn't be a big change)

Agreed when writing.
When reading, I'd suggest following the suggested behaviour in the spec:
1. Try to read UTF8 filename from the EFS; if not present fall back to
2. Try to read extra fields filename as implemented by info-zip/abbrevia
etc, if not present fall back to
3. current behaviour (reading filename as is)