>  On Fri, 23 May 2014, Tomas Hajny wrote:

>>>  I have a program that makes daily backups, and just discovered this

>>> Not quite, according to the spec
>>> http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies
>>

>> I can't access this URL (HTTP 403 - Forbidden). The right URL seems to be
>> http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT.
>>

> Indeed.
>
> A proper implementation would require a serious rewrite of this component
> with a unicode API. This can be entered as a feature request if so desired.

Nice. I can do it, opening a new issue in bugtracker.

Temporarily, I fixed my problem 'underlining' the file name, e.g.:

program project1;

{$mode objfpc}{$H+}

uses
  zipper, zstream, sysutils, RUtils {
https://github.com/silvioprog/rutils/blob/master/src/rutils.pas };

var
  dir, fil, fn, zip: string;
begin
  dir := 'C:\Silvio Clécio\Cópias de segurança\';
  fn := 'instrução-para-desbloqueio-do-PIN.pdf';
  fil := dir + fn;
  zip := dir + RUtils.UnderlineStr(fn + '.zip');
  with TZipper.Create do
  try
    FileName :=
      {$IFDEF MSWINDOWS}Utf8ToAnsi({$ENDIF}zip{$IFDEF MSWINDOWS}){$ENDIF};
    Entries.AddFileEntry(
      {$IFDEF MSWINDOWS}Utf8ToAnsi({$ENDIF}fil{$IFDEF MSWINDOWS}){$ENDIF},
      RUtils.UnderlineStr(fn)).CompressionLevel := clMax;
    ZipAllFiles;
  finally
    Free;
  end;