Sven Barth wrote:
Am 17.07.2015 11:06 schrieb "Nikolay Nikolov" <nick...@gmail.com
<mailto:nick...@gmail.com>>:
 > Btw, just an idea: why not make the generic syntax a {$modeswitch}?
 > This way people will be able to switch on the delphi generics syntax in
 > objfpc mode.

That's on my ToDo list for quite some time already ;)

I really wouldn't like that. While we already have a lot of modeswitches that allow for a lot of flexibility, at the very basic level every modeswitch is one too many: they make reading code more complex (either because you have to know which modeswitches are active to know what a certain expression means, or because you're simply only familiar with code written with that modeswitch either turned on or off).

modeswitches should only be added because it's simply not possible otherwise without an explosion of syntax modes, or because they're a cross-cutting add-on. But not for syntactic differences...

Jonas