Now we're getting into the field of personal preferences, and EVERYONE and
their neighbor on the internet is going to defend their personal
preferences like a rabid dog over a piece of meat.

Looking at a screen all day long, comfortably, is ultimately up to the
person sitting in the chair at that computer.  For email, variable width
fonts are alright (Although I've now changed that in gmail so I read email
in a fixed-font family).  For code, fixed font, terminal/consolas/system
fonts for me, end of story, and if the IDE doesn't support it, I remove the
IDE and look at something else.  Taking another font that is variable
width, and pretends to be monospace still irritates me, and is a
distraction.

The goal of the developer is to setup the IDE so that they are comfortable
using it for long periods of time, and use the system effectively.  All
these 'toys' that people write are fine, but, claiming that fixed font is
of ancient ways, although true, has exactly zero bearing on the
effectiveness of the development process.  You're not going to write a
better function because you're not using Arial.

This whole discussion is going towards discussing the "standards" of some
web forum software forcing their tables to be a max of 1024 pixels wide,
leaving a whack of white space, for the purpose of "readability".  I'm a
very strong opponent to it.  I hate it.  On my 2560x1440 screen, no text
scaling, those sites look absolutely ridiculous when my browser is full
screen.  I have browser plugins that change the formatting on the
tables/divs/CSS that change those sites around so I can view the way I want
to, not the way they THINK is best for me.