On 11/21/2016 8:05 AM, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
Am 2016-11-21 um 15:46 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
The age old rule
of programmer source code always being in a mono-spaced font is
ridiculous for this day and age.

Why?
I like monospaced fonts for code very much.

Code is not a novel or a newspaper where you read
a lot of text from top down to the end in a linear manner.
Instead, alignment is very important to make code more readable.
Monospaced fonts make it much easier to align code and
make a lot of things align 'automatically'.

I even align procedure headers like the following where all variables and
all types start at the same column
(which may not be visible in this email if you use proportional fonts ;-). Please copy it to notepad or into Lazarus Editor in this case):
+1
Anything BUT a mono-spaced font for program code is ridiculous, even in this day and age...

We are programming in Pascal, which is neither case-sensitive (like for example C) nor does it make it whitespace significant (like Python), allowing for a much more readable code than most other languages out there, as you can easily format code in a way that is more human readable. The machine (compiler) doesn't care for that...

Ralf

---