Am 18.05.2017 um 16:00 schrieb Ryan Joseph:

>> On May 18, 2017, at 8:53 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <mich...@freepascal.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The complaint of Graeme was that a FPC ray tracer is much slower slower than
>> an equivalent
>> raytracer in Java. All the rest are diversions from the original subject.
>
> That’s right. I’d really like to know what the hell FPC is doing to make it
> so slow (besides the
> call to Floor()).

Well, the reason are the linux calling conventions: there are no callee saved
xmm registers. This
means FPC does not use any single/double register variables. I have some
prototype fixes in my local
git mirror, but they are neither finished nor tested.

> The compiler team should be worried about this also I would think.

I am not worried, the code on windows is reasonable good as windows has well
designed calling
conventions making life for a compiler much easier :)