On 29/12/2022 15:43, wkitty42--- via fpc-pascal wrote:
turned out they were doing basic SQL queries for these reports to get "views" of the data that wasn't available in the specific reports i had been tasked to write... things were headed into a more "freeform" format... they basically needed databases with specific information that they could draw information from...

it was a huge mindset change... almost like having grown up doing pascal and asm and then trying to figure out LISP on your own in the same way you taught yourself pascal and asm...

I've spent pretty much my entire programming career working with end-users, who did much of their own programming. Imho that's the best way to do it - a couple of trained programmers who keep the users on the straight and narrow.

Unfortunately, that's not the way most companies want to work - to the massive detriment to said companies as users are forced into the straight-jacket of systems that don't work and have been designed by people who don't understand the job ...

Can you imagine those users writing COMPLEX SQL queries? My database career didn't *need* complex queries, the database handled it all ... something relational is completely incapable of :-(

Cheers,
Wol