On Sun, Jul 7, 2024 at 3:55 PM Adriaan van Os via fpc-pascal <
fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> I am trying to build fpc for Arduino on MacOS 10.8.5, using the fpc-3.0.4
> sources and fpc-3.0.4 as
> bootstrap compiler. GNU binutils have been built and installed (but not
> yet avrdude). As suggested
> here <https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,30960.0.html>
> I use
>
>         make clean crossall OS_TARGET=embedded CPU_TARGET=avr SUBARCH=avr5
> BINUTILSPREFIX=avr-
> CROSSOPT="-O3 -XX -CX"
>
> which results in
>
>         objpas.pp(175,24) Fatal: Unknown compilerproc
> "fpc_ansistr_to_shortstr".
>
> Is this a known problem ? Is a specific minimal version of the fpc sources
> and a specific bootstrap
> compiler neeed to build for Arduino ?
>
> Obviously, I wouldn't need all packages.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adriaan van Os

The level of support for AVR in 3.0.4 was rudimentary, only atmega128 is
supported in the MakeFIle.  The  support for AVR is still improving with
time so use either the development branch, or the latest release version
(if you prefer release versions).  The bootstrap compiler required is
determined by the source version, not the cross target.