> Edit > Preferences > Security, and near the bottom it has a button for "Clear
> remembered account information ..."

That isn’t the answer, but a related thing is: Preferences > Tracker > Clear
All Stored Credentials.
Oddly, I kept wanting to click this, but it was disabled. Then I happened to
open Acrobat only (that is, not opening a doc), and the option was enabled, so
I clicked it. And magically things are working. It didn’t ask me for a
password, but perhaps I’d typed it correctly in the first place, and some other
connection problem was the issue.
I sure wish I knew what really happened, but I’m happy that things are working
now :-)
Thanks Lin and Louise,
-Monique