On Mar 11, 2007, at 7:20 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
Hi Andreas,

hi martin,

i thought you're on vacation? :)

while a) should be relatively easy to fix (my only question in this regard would be if it's okay to just add missing tools to `componentregistry.xml` at this point?)

We also need an interface.

but don't we already have `IGroupTool` from `Products.PlonePAS.interfaces.group`? hmm, i guess i probably just don't get what you mean atm... :)

There are a lot of gray areas here (e.g the placeful workflow tool, the lesser-used tools from CMFEditions), and it doesn't solve the problem for third party products.

yes, of course, but what i meant was to have a central place to import from for all the portal tools used or rather provided by plone. that is everything that shows up in a fresh plone instance, not anything 3rd party.

Certainly, I don't think we should further explode the CMFPlone.interfaces namespace.

i agree, and i guess i shouldn't have sorta suggested `CMFPlone.interfaces` first and then said "maybe `CMFPlone.interfaces.tools` would be better" in my mail, but straight away went for the latter. that was probably too far towards the end of another mail gotten too long... ;)

Perhaps we could have some kind of "helper imports" module somewhere else, but I can't really think of where.

well, maybe to clear this up again:  that's what i was looking for... :)

The good news is that most CMF tools are in Products.CMFCore.interfaces; the other ones are more specific, like some of the i18n tools. I think we ought to think closely about the interfaces in PlonePAS, though.

right. i suppose i accidentally picked the worst one with respect to the not too long ago move to plonepas, but like i said, not knowing too many details about that it really took a while to be halfway confident to use the interface i actually wanted with `getUtility`. and i just suspected others would run into the same "problem"...

cheers (& have a nice vacation),

andi

--
zeidler it consulting - http://zitc.de/ - [EMAIL PROTECTED]