I taught an introductory course in which I framed things under the
terms "underground," "avant-garde," "studio-art video," "video as
technology," "documentary," and a concluding section called "film
culture" (histories of organizing, concluding with Cashmere's Incite
issue devoted to exhibition).

1. For underground we get Amos Vogel and are allowed relatively populist clips.
2. For avant-garde we get Scott MacDonald and the classics of his
early text, Avant-Garde Film (which is really useful to keep us in the
history game, since there's that initial link in MacDonald to the
split identified in Kracauer's Theory of Film, the "formative" and the
"realist" tendencies).
3. For studio-art video we get Catherine Elwes, who can position body-
and gender-oriented video nicely into a context with Paik.
4. For video as technology we get Yvonne Spielmann, who has a notion
of "experimental" with respect to video that is about signals, not
frames or even images.  This is essential to talk about Steina.
5. For documentary we have a chapter from Renov and a chapter from
Marks.  Renov can get us Saddie Benning.
6. I found the "film culture" to be the most useful for introducting
the Austrian work, like Kren's.  Hans Scheugle's text in
Tscherkassky's volume ensures that we have some context for the
"expanded" of cinema art.

Bernie