On Dec 29, 2015, at 6:15 PM, David Baker
<dbak...@hvc.rr.com<mailto:dbak...@hvc.rr.com>> wrote:

Scott MacDonald's revelatory,
BINGHAMTON BABYLON: VOICES FROM THE CINEMA DEPARTMENT 1967-1977

Among the “revelations” are many references to (male) faculty having sexual
encounters with (usually female) students, and other hanky-panky, in addition
to drug and alcohol use/abuse.  It seems to me this is the first real
discussion of these sorts of events in the experimental film world. (well,
historians have sometimes touched on this for the distant past, but most of the
people here are still around).

I wonder how both people of that generation and the Millennial generation take
these details.  A hidden history? More of the same-old, same-old?  Really
dangerous under Title IX today (US law giving women equal access to education)?

MacDonald mentions that a fair number of people did not want to be interviewed,
and there are very few women who are quoted.  Reluctant to drag up old baggage?

It’s interesting that for all the “taboo breaking” poses of the avant garde,
sexual politics of personal relations  within the community are seldom
discussed (with an exception for some gay filmmakers).

Chuck Kleinhans