I can confirm that in 2009, when Tony Conrad appeared in person at San
Francisco Cinematheque, *The Flicker *was screened with soundtrack from a
CD provided by Conrad. He specifically informed us that this was a *stereo*
version of the usual 16mm mono soundtrack. I do not recall his instructions
as to when to push "play" or whatever but obviously there is no way that
anything like frame-for-frame sync was achieved this way. I personally have
my doubts that the original (16mm optical) soundtrack is as closely synced
as others are claiming but I have no way of backing this up. By my
recollection, indeed the warning section of *The Flicker* has a different
soundtrack (old time movie music, right?). I do not recall how this was
dealt with during the in-person stero-soundtrack-from-CD presentation of
the film in 2009.

Info on *Tony Conrad: Flickering Jewel* April 3–5, 2009:
Program One <http://www.sfcinematheque.org/immersive_cinema_spring_2009/>
Program Two
<http://www.sfcinematheque.org/tony_conrad_flickering_jewel_program_two/>
Program Three
<http://www.sfcinematheque.org/tony_conrad_flickering_jewel_program_three/>

If anyone is interested, Cinematheque will present a two-part Conrad
tribute in San Francisco March 24–26, 2017, including a screening of *Tony
Conrad: Completely in the Present*
<http://www.sfcinematheque.org/screenings/tony-conrad-completely-in-the-present-program-1/>,
Tyler Hubby's recent documentary portrait of Conrad and a screening of films
by Conrad
<http://www.sfcinematheque.org/screenings/tony-conrad-completely-in-the-present-program-2-the-flicker-and-other-films/>,
including *The Flicker* (remains to be seen whether the sndtk will be
optical or CD).

Steve Polta