My new book, "The Lost Gospel of Mary: The Mother of Jesus in Three Ancient
Texts," will be coming soon from Paraclete Press -- official release date is
March 25, the Feast of the Annunciation, but I was told that they'd have it on
hand starting today. On my web page you can read an excerpt and description and
blurbs, and click through to the Amazon page:

http://www.frederica.com/books/

(The Amazon entry has an earlier version of the subtitle, "The Theotokos
in...", and we're trying to get this corrected.)

I know "Lost Gospel" sounds like a surprising title. One of my goals is to
recover for Christian use a few of the wide range of documents that Christian
believers cherished in the early centuries. These works weren't regarded as
Scripture, but they filled a worthy supplemental role. They can be compared to
the
sort of thing found in a Christian bookstore today: commentaries on
Scripture, histories, prayer collections, inspiring letters, hymns, poetry, and
life-story narratives (or "gospels") of heroic Christians.

The one I'm calling "The Gospel of Mary" is a narrative about the Virgin Mary
that seems to have been passed along orally for some time before taking
written form prior to AD 150. So it is surprisingly early, especially if you
think
that interest in the Virgin Mary began around the year 1200. In fact, this
story was *extremely* popular among early Christians in Asia and Africa, and
scores of ancient copies have been found, in 8 languages. (Not in Latin,
however,
till the 16th century; it was rejected by a pope and so got "lost" to Western
Christians.) It's a charming tale, simply told, with a "folk" quality. It
begins with Mary's elderly parents mourning their childlessness, and concludes
soon after Jesus' birth. It's natural that the first followers of Jesus would
want to know more about his background and earthly life, and this "Gospel of
Mary" provided what we could call a "prequel."

Is it historically reliable? Some of it is, no doubt; in a culture that laid
so much emphasis on preserving genealogy, for example, there's no reason to
reject the information that her parents were named Joachim and Anna. And, given
how many miracles are in the biblical Gospels, it's reasonable that miracles
could have begun even earlier, just as they continued later and even till this
day. Nevertheless, even though the early Christians cherished this story, they
didn't include it in the New Testament (even though they did accept the
Epistle of James, and the author of this gospel claims to be the same James.
Early
Christians must have had some doubts about that authorship.) But, questions of
historicity aside, it was loved for depicting the many ways Mary fulfilled
elements foreshadowed in the Hebrew Scriptures, for example, that she becomes
the new "Ark of the Covenant," holding within her body the salvation sent by
God.

So my book provides a fresh translation of this "Lost Gospel," along with an
introduction and commentary. Two other early Christian documents about Mary
are also included. The prayer "Under Your Compassion" was found on a small
scrap
of papyrus and dated at AD 250; it is the earliest recorded prayer addressed
to Mary, and still used in Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches (we'll
sing it tonight night at Vespers). And the "Annunciation Hymn" (also called
the "Akathist Hymn"), written by the Syrian poet St. Romanos around AD 250,
pours out praise and wonder at Mary's role in Christ's Incarnation. These three
texts show us 3 ways that the early Christians saw Mary: they felt great
affection for her, they valued her as a prayer warrior, and they celebrated her
role
in God's plan of salvation. I hope by understanding how they saw her, you
will get to know and love Mary better, too.

here's the URL to the excerpt pasted in below:

http://www.frederica.com/writings/the-lost-gospel-of-mary-who-was-she.html

********
The Beloved Virgin Mary

Who was she?

It is hard to see Mary clearly, beneath the conflicting identities she has
borne over the centuries. To one era she is the flower of femininity, and to
another the champion of feminism; in one age she is the paragon of obedience,
and
in another the advocate of liberation. Some enthusiasts have been tempted to
pile her status so high that it rivals that of her Son. Others, aware that
excessive adulation can be dangerous, do their best to ignore her entirely.

Behind all that there is a woman nursing a baby. The child in her arms looks
into her eyes. Years later he will look at her from the cross, through a haze
of blood and sweat. We do not know, could not comprehend, what went through
his mind during those hours of cosmic warfare. But from a moment in the St.
John’
s account of the Crucifixion we know that, whatever else he thought, he
thought about her. He asked his good friend John to take care of her. He wanted
John to become a son to her—to love her the way he did.

It is not surprising that those who, in St. Paul’s words, put on “the mind
of Christ” would discover that they loved her too. Though we may picture the
love of Mary as a medieval development, it actually goes back to the faith’s
early days. Those first generations of Christians did not include Mary in their
public preaching of the gospel; they did not expose her to the gaze of the
world. (Likewise, a celebrity today will object if reporters take photos of his
family.) But when believers were gathered together in their home community,
there Mary was cherished. As new members were brought into the Body of Christ,
they would also begin to share in the love the Christ Child had for his Mother.

How can we know her the way they did? Our primary source of information about
Mary is the Scriptures, of course, but the few passages about her have been
so burdened by competing interpretations that they spark more argument than
illumination. Just beyond that center, however, there is a wealth of other
materials that were embraced by the early Christians. You could think of it as
analogous to the materials found today in a Christian bookstore: stories,
prayers,
artworks, and songs that help enrich the life of faith. By looking at
materials pertaining to Mary that were popular in those first centuries, we can
learn
something about how the early Christians viewed her.

In fact, their viewpoint is valuable whenever we seek to understand
Scripture. Not because these early Christians were necessarily smarter or
holier than
we are, but because they had this practical advantage: they were still living
in the culture that produced the Christian Scriptures. The Greek of the New
Testament was their daily business language. They lived in the Middle East, or
along its gossipy trade routes. Their parents or great-grandparents had been
alive when Christ walked the earth. The history of these things was the history
of their backyard, and some things that scholars now struggle to comprehend
were as familiar and obvious as their own kitchen table.

And from the first they loved Mary—freely, deeply, and some way
instinctively. This can puzzle some contemporary Christians, living as they do
on the other
side of centuries of controversy over Mary. It is my hope that, as we stand
behind these fervent Christians and peer over their shoulders, we will be able
to see what they see, and come to love her too.

We’ll do that by reading three ancient texts about Mary. In each case we’ll
begin with some historic background, and then move to consider theological and
cultural questions (sometimes, uncomfortable questions) that the document
raises, before entering the complete text.

The first work is a “Gospel,” or a narrative of Mary’s life, which begins
with her conception by her mother, Anna, and continues through the birth of
Jesus. It provided a kind of “prequel” to the biblical Gospels, and was
extremely
popular. It was in written form by AD 150, but I suspect that (like the
biblical Gospels) it collected stories that were previously in oral
circulation.

If these stories were originally passed along orally, we have no way of
knowing how far back they might go. We can know at least that we are in the
company
of Christians who lived during the era of persecutions, and well before the
New Testament was given final form. Yet they were already enthusiastically in
love with Mary. This book was circulated widely and embraced warmly, and its
popularity is reflected in the unusually high number of ancient copies and
translations that have been found.

Scholars know this text by the modern title bestowed by a sixteenth-century
translator: the Protevangelium of James. The ancient church knew it by a number
of different titles, most including a reference to James as its source. I
have called it the Gospel of Mary because today we expect a title to identify a
work’s contents, rather than its author. (We’ll explain the use of Lost later
on.)

The second text is a very brief prayer to Mary, found on a scrap of papyrus
in Egypt about a hundred years ago. The artifact is dated at AD 250, though (as
above) the prayer itself is probably older; the papyrus just represents one
time it got written down.

This is the oldest known prayer to Mary. It begins with “Under your
compassion . . .,” and is still in use. In the Roman Catholic Church it is
called “Sub
tuum praesidium,” and in the Eastern Orthodox Church it is among the closing
prayers of the evening services.

The third text is a lengthy, complex, and beautiful hymn written by the
deacon and hymnographer St. Romanos, who was born in Syria about AD 475. This
is
the best-known of his works, and is regularly cited as the highest achievement
of Byzantine Christian poetry. Eastern Christians are familiar with it as the
Akathist Hymn, and they sing it during Lent, near the March 25 feast of the
Annunciation (that is, the Angel Gabriel’s announcement to Mary that she would
conceive a son). Here I am calling it the Annunciation Hymn, again with the aim
of identifying its contents.

Many Western Christians are unfamiliar with Mary, and somewhat leery of her;
they suspect that it’s possible for devotion to her to get out of hand, and
even eclipse the honor due to God. It is true that, over time and in other
lands, praise of the Virgin that had been intended as lovingly poetic developed
into something more literal, and consequently less healthy.

In Europe from the twelfth century on, strains of Marian devotion were
arising that held that she could manipulate or even overrule her Son, that he
was
perpetually enraged but she was merciful, that she could work miracles by her
own magical powers, that mechanical repetition of prayers to her guaranteed
salvation, and that she had facilitated Christ’s work by her presence at the
Crucifixion. The effects of these mistaken ideas lingered for centuries, and
have
not been wholly eliminated.

But, as we will see, the early Middle-Eastern church is not the medieval
European church. All that sad confusion lay a thousand years from the time of
the
first love-notes to Mary, the time that we are entering now.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com