> Now, I am ready to start debugging dual-processor NT hangs that I've
> been experiencing. I figure I will start with the Windows PMO, but first
> I have some questions:

Dual processor NT with a SB Live! card? If so, do you have another card that
you might stick in there just to see if the SB Live! is causing problems?
I've heard not so good things about SB Live on NT with multiple processors.

> 0) There appear to be two PMOs for Win32, one using the Microsoft waveXXX
> functions, the other using DirectSound. How do I tell which one is being
> used on my machine?

Options->Plugins->Audio Output

Be default we're using the soundcard output PMO.

> 1) What is the state of the DirectSound PMO? Is it actually used in the
> product (and if so, can it be used on NT 4?)?

The DirectSound PMO should work fine -- the only drawback is that there is
an extra memcpy in there which degrades performance. The way you write data
to direct sound is not compatible with the current buffering scheme that we
have (well, not cleanly anyways), which forces us to use an extra copy. :-(

> 2) According to Microsoft, the latest version of DirectX for NT 4 is
> version 3. Is this the case?

Sounds about right.

> 3) Who is the main person for these two PMOs?

Sylvain Rebaud wrote the DirectSound PMO and maintain that now. I've also
rewritten the soundcard PMO a couple of times, and I'm still not quite happy
with it. :-(

--ruaok         Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert