At Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:32:55 +0100,
David Richards wrote:

> if you want a linux os that acts like freebsd, try debian or gentoo.
> They are as close as you are going to get with a freebsdlinux-os

I don't consider Gentoo to be very similar to FreeBSD.  The
similarities are at best superficial.  The portage system works
differently than ports (I'm sure it's quite powerful but knowledge of
ports won't help you much when using it) and the user community has
different priorities (performance/optimizations, and running the
latest cvs applications) than any of the BSD communities.

Actually I think the most "BSD-like" Linux is the Mastadon
distribution.  I think it even uses libc and BSD userland tools.
Other BSD-like GNU/Linux distributions include Crux and Slackware
(with NetBSD pkgsrc)

Actually I have followed tutorials for setting up pkgsrc on Slackware
in the past and I was quite happy with the system.  (trust me, you'd
have to be insane to use Slackware's package system, it really is that
bad)

--Tim