On 8/20/05, Diane Bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 04:18:47PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > On 8/20/05, Jeremy C. Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > That's one of the things I really like about the *BSDs. Could we just
> > take the 2.6 kernel and develop it as are own like we do with BIND and
> > Sendmail, fork it? and keep the FreeBSD libs, just port them to the
> > new kernel?
>
> If you use non GPL as much as possible, I would love to see it.
> I would also love to see the screaming from RMS. ah yes. priceless.

If I where doing it I would probably mandate all new code be under a
BSD or MIT Licence (or Public Domain etc.) before commit. I'm not a
big fan of the GPL because it has too many restrictions, the LGPL is
much better but BSD and MIT are the best.

And yea I think RMS would be screaming if all the BSD tools where
ported to Linux, everyone may want to use are tool set because of it's
unencumbered and engineered (as a set) nature.

How much code in FreeBSD is GPL, anyone know?