At Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:52:10 -0600,
Ben Kaduk wrote:
> lying around. I know that the darwin part of os X is based on FreeBSD, but
> is it close enough
> to justify putting "powered by FreeBSD" stickers on it? What do you all
> think?
>
> Ben Kaduk

Depends, but I think it's a grey area, but I think that "powered by
*BSD" rather than "FreeBSD" would be more accurate.  The kernel isn't
the FreeBSD kernel.  It's darwin.  The userland is mostly the same as
FreeBSD, with some GNU tools and some tools from other BSDs. (I think)
I guess it is BSD in the sense that GNU/Linux is GNU.

--Tim