On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, rob_spellberg wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On 4/4/06, Kevin Kinsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'd been talking on a forum with a Linux database guy,
and he mentioned that on the PostGres lists, people
would "love to use *BSD" but the locale support is limited.

Well, sure 'nough, `locale -a | wc -l` seems to be in the
mid-200s here, and his systems have over 550 locales.

I've probably not RTFM'ed enough, but I'm just looking
for a short answer.  What does FreeBSD need to have
more locales*?  I'm assuming the answer is, more people
in more locations willing to take the time to RTFM and
submit patches to $x team.....

Discussion?  Linkage?  Slaps to the head?

Kevin Kinsey

* and, of course, an obvious counter question:  *does* FreeBSD
need to have more LOCALES?"

I would not think that it could hurt.
But I tend to think that even spurious
locales would be sexy to have.

sexy locales never hurt, but locale bloat is distinctly spurious.

The last I checked, the reason why PostgreSQL implimented UNICODE support was to avoid having to add every locale under the sun ... is there something UNICODE *doesn't* handle?

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664