Benjamin Lutz wrote:
Something occurred to me just now. I've been looking at the summer of code page, where I noticed the "Rewrite cvsup in C" entry. When Perl was removed from the FreeBSD base, the general notion was to rewrite any Perl scripts in sh or C.

Why is it that C++ is not used for our programs? The C++ compiler is in the base and built by default, and the OOP paradigm is a nice one, that many programmers, especially the younger ones (like me :) ) are probably more familiar with than the tricks and techniques used in C to achieve good efficiency.

My first guess is that it's a habit. People dealing with the FreeBSD source code are used to C, and therefore use that for their apps. If it's only that, there'd be no good reason for not writing a tool like cvsup in C++, right? Or is there a more technical reason?

If you really want you can code whatever tool you need in c++. I guess cvsup was rewritten in C because the developer understands C, and not C++ (or the task of rewrite cvsup in C++ would be harder)

--
chs