Before you ask, I've also tried to use the tapr[*] CF <-> IDE adapter to
see if I could get these systems to boot off a 16MB CF card with no
luck.  I even have a mini486 based system from NEC that I bought
surplus that I thought could use the CF card, but no joy.  Works great
on all the modern machines I've tried it on.  likely a BIOS issue, but
I don't wanna write bios for a machine that only cost me $49.99 that
has no docs.

Warner

[*] http://www.tapr.org/, as featured on slashdot a long time ago.