> <<On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:11:52 -0800, Mike Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > That's not correct; your DHCP configuration should reflect the hostname.
>
> No, it shouldn't.  As I keep on trying to explain, the DHCP addresses
> are:
>
>       1) Temporary.
>       2) Meaningless.
>       3) Temporary.
>       4) Temporary.
>       5) Temporary.

Since the hostname is simply a plain-text token for the IP address, it
has to remain bound to the IP address (whether that binding is fixed or
dynamic is outside the scope of this discussion).  Having a hostname that
doesn't map to your IP address is a misconfiguration, and not a useful
one at that.

The only argument for having a dysfunctional hostname of the variety you
describe is vanity, which is not a valid engineering constraint.

\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]