On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 05:22:28PM -0500, Jim Bloom wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >
> > texinfo is already in bootstrap tools.  The problem is that we do not have
> > such a thing like `install' tools.  Apparently, every tool we are using
> > at installworld stage, should be compiled `static' at buildworld stage,
> > and then these tools should be used at installworld.  Among these tools,
> > there should be at least xinstall and install-info.
>
> Don't forget the cross platform installation issues.  If the
> installworld is executed on the target machine with the host machine's
> build area mounted, then this works fine.  If you have the target
> machine's root mounted on the host machine, you can't use anything out
> of the build area.

Maybe we could play with INSTALL_ARCH (the architecture on which
the installworld will be run, defaulting to the MACHINE_ARCH)?

> > I could MFC the -current texinfo into -stable, so installworld of
> > -current would be possible from the latest -stable, but...
> >
> > Another possibility would be to add install-tools target to Makeinfo.inc1
> > to statically build install tools like xinstall and install-info, and
> > use them at installworld stage.  I will prepare the patch tomorrow, will
> > test it on my -stable machine, and will then send it to -current.
>
> The problem with install-info is not a linkage problem, but a feature
> change between the versions.  So far I don't see a reason to to link it
> 'static'.  I believe what needs to be done in this case is to ensure
> that install-info is installed before it is used.  I suspect that a bit
> of careful addition of early installs in the middle of installworld will
> solve this problem.

There are at least 2 reasons to link them static:

1. On -stable we have libc.so.3, on -current - libc.so.4.
2. DESTDIR is not always /, so these tools (if installed early)
   could be out of $PATH anyway.

--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA of the
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        United Commercial Bank,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age