On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 08:47:19PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 5 Feb 00, at 9:28, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 07:41:56PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> > > I'm experiencing the same problems but the proposed solution of
> > > "make -k -DNOFSCHG installworld " doesn't allow the following "make
> > > installworld" to succeed.  The error messages remain unchanged.  I
> > > cvsup'd about 24 hours ago.
> > >
> > Hmm, I have received successful reports from some people.
> > You are doing something different.  We are talking about DESTDIR=/
> > case, and the latest bsd.lib.mk with unbroken PRECIOUSLIB feature.
> > -DNOFSCHG is required to install without -fschg new shared libraries,
> > in particular, libc.so.4 with setflags.  -k is required since there is
> > no such a beast like NOFSCHG for bsd.prog.mk.  So, on the first pass
> > you should have *all* new libraries installed, and some programs like
> > /bin/rcp (which are installed with flags) not installed.  On the
> > second pass everything will be installed, since we at this point we
> > already have the new /usr/bin/install and new libc.so.4.
>
> OK.  I'll cvsup to be sure I have the latest.  And try the whole process
> again.  FWIW:  I'm following the instructions mentioned by Jim Bloom in
> the UPDATING thread (msg id = [EMAIL PROTECTED]).
>
> cheers
>
>       cd /usr/src
>       make buildworld
>       make installworld
>       cd /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall
>       make install
>       cd /usr/src
>       make installworld

This will not work, since with new bsd.lib.mk libc.so.4 will not be
installed on the first installworld path.  Just add -DNOFSCHG to the
first `make installworld' (line 3 above), and the procedure will work.
I.e., first installworld (with -DNOFSCHG) will fail on bin/rcp,
but at this point you'll already have the correct libc.so.4.
Then you will install the new /usr/bin/install, and repeat installworld.

--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA of the
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        United Commercial Bank,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age