FYI.  That had no affect for me at all.  I was able to pass the kernel the
rootdev by:

        boot -rootdev kernel

but then I had a problem when it came time to mount root as read/write.  It
mounted read-only successfully and then bailed because it couldn't remount
as read/write.  num_ide_disks=-1 seemed to have absolutely no affect at all.

Tom Veldhouse
ve...@visi.com