On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 11:00:27PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> Right now I'm looking at stamping the disklabel which contains the
> designated root filesystem and passing the stamp into the kernel, which
> will then go look for it.  There are still gremlins with this approach,
> but I can't think of anything better. 8(

Well, it would probably help avoid the confusion and terror I went
through today (8-)

I updated my boot blocks (last done a month ago) and the machine refused
to mount my root filesystem (on /dev/da0s2a) with "specified device does
not match mounted device".

The machine would load OK with /kernel at the boot prompt. After fiddling with
num_ide_disks and some RTSLing, I discovered root_disc_unit (8-)

        set num_ide_disks=-1
        set root_disk_unit=0    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        load /kernel
        load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config
        autoboot

Bliss!
--
Adrian Wontroba