On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Brian Feldman wrote:

> > :btw, i'm hardly 'stressing' this machine it's a k6-233+96ram and
> > :i'm running X and doing a 'make release'
> > :
> > :Is it safe to enable crashdumps on IDE disks yet?
> > :
> > :-Alfred
> >
> >     I don't know.
> >
> >     I wasn't aware that there was a problem with crash dumps on
> >     ide disks.  There shouldn't be.
> >

> Crashdumps on IDE disks never stopped working for me.

gee, that's nice to know.  Brian, search the -current lists about
this, there was/is some confusion in the driver about LBA.  Basically,
LBA would work at ALL times for the disk, except during a crash
dump where it would use those addresses as CHS or something and
cream one of my partitions.  This lovely affected 2 seperate machines.

-Alfred