From: Marco van Hylckama Vlieg <fa...@pc2-c804.uibk.ac.at>
Subject: 3.0-CURRENT -> RELENG_3: trouble ?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:39:57 +0100 (MET)

> Hello all,
>
> I'm running 3.0-CURRENT at the moment, last timme I built world is
> about 2 or 3 weeks ago I guess. What I want to do is go to 3.0-RELEASE
> and from then start keeping track of the 3.x-STABLE branch.

Careful... making world can be addictive  :-)

Your system would have been built before the split, so this will be
a simple update for you.  It can be more difficult trying to move
backwards.

> Since I've read a lot about various problems people had with this
> I now wonder: is it safe to CVSUP to RELENG_3 right now or will bad
> things happen? I don't want to mess up my system.

The -stable branch seems to be what's advertised; so far I haven't
endured any problems at all.

> If someone could give me some guidelines on how to get going on the
> above described track or point me to a webpage/document or anything else
> that describes what to do I'd be eternally grateful. At the moment it's
> very unclear to me what to do and whether I'll be able to boot and/or
> login to my system after I went to RELENG_3.

Not much,  I'd recommend getting friendly with mergemaster:

/usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster

This script helps with manually updating any possible changes to
/etc  Most often, on -stable, there aren't any.

You'll need to change a line in your cvsupfile from 'tag=.' to
'tag=RELENG_3'

I usually do a 'make buildworld' in multi-user mode then shutdown
to single user mode to do a 'make installworld' and rebuild and
install a new kernel before rebooting.

Over here, we prefer to use the cvsup-mirror port to maintain a
local repository.  The major advantages include having the repository
metadata available locally along the ability to mirror the mail
archives.

>From there, you can either run cvsup against your local cvsupd or
use standard CVS commands.  I prefer the latter, but the former
is faster.

> I'm running 3.0-CURRENT with everything ELF including the kernel.
>
> Any assistance is highly appreciated,

It shouldn't offer you any surprises...

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks