Marco van Hylckama Vlieg wrote:

> I'm running 3.0-CURRENT at the moment, last timme I built world is
> about 2 or 3 weeks ago I guess. What I want to do is go to 3.0-RELEASE
> and from then start keeping track of the 3.x-STABLE branch.
>
> Since I've read a lot about various problems people had with this
> I now wonder: is it safe to CVSUP to RELENG_3 right now or will bad
> things happen? I don't want to mess up my system.

I did the 3.0-CURRENT --> 3.0-STABLE transition the last weekend
without _any_ problem. Usually I cvsup every night, but I disabled
this process just before the branch. One day after the branch
I restarted the cvsup procedure, this time tracking RELENG_3.
I "made the world" on last Saturday and everything worked fine
[as usual :-)].

> If someone could give me some guidelines on how to get going on the
> above described track or point me to a webpage/document or anything else
> that describes what to do I'd be eternally grateful. At the moment it's
> very unclear to me what to do and whether I'll be able to boot and/or
> login to my system after I went to RELENG_3.
>
> I'm running 3.0-CURRENT with everything ELF including the kernel.

If you "made the world" before, simply repeat the procedure. Remember
that there is an excellent tutorial written by Nik Clayton.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:j...@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139