On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 02:14:21PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > stand by my comment that 'make depend' is needed generally, though -
> > things often fail elsewhere in the tree (e.g. gcc, perl)

Only in broken makefiles.  I once fixed all makefiles used by makeworld
to work with `make -jLarge' without `make depend' in the NOSECURE case.
makeworld used to depend on this (at least in the -jLarge case) until
recent pessimisations in it (building dependencies slows it down by 10%).

> Yes, give a log.  Look at all the gunk in
> src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/Makefile to keep a `make depend' from being
> required.

cc_tools/Makefile too the most work to fix :-).  Most of the gunk is
required to make dependencies actually work.  Once you have correct
dependencies (less the ones generated by `make depend'), it is a small
step to make the `make depend' step optional.

Bruce