> I'm going to play around with Mike's suggestion of instrumenting
> ad_interrupt with a bunch of debug prints and see if I can see
> what is happening.  I'll do this right after I determine for
> sure that both the old and new driver are at least trying to
> read the same blocks from the disk for the disklabels.  Sounds
> stupid I know, but I can cut the problem space in half if I
> can prove that they are least trying to go to the same spot on
> the disk.

I'd be more worried that they're going to different places _after_
they've read the disklabel.  If they couldn't read the disklabel, you
wouldn't be mounting the disk in the first place.

Is your disk dedicated in some way?

\\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  m...@smith.net.au
\\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msm...@freebsd.org
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msm...@cdrom.com