In message <199905060520.oaa83...@rina.naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp> Seigo TANIMURA
writes:
: My box has got two PII-266's, the RAM of 256MB on ASUS P2L97-DS(BIOS ver is
1005).
: I used to apmconf(8) successfully on the kernel in 25th Apr. I have attached
: the config at the end of this mail. MAXMEM=(256*1024) did not help...
:
: Daniel O'Connor has posted a problem similar to my one, followed by the fix
: patch by Luoqi Chen. I will try that patch tonight at home...

I strongly suspect that the Luoqi Chen fix will solve your problem.
It certainly does fix a problem in the hardware configuration (SMP)
that you are having.

Warner