:had not been done, then the Internet would not have grown as it did today.
:
:The central issue of keepalives is that, for one machine, they don't create
:a significant load.  Multiplied by the number of machines on the Internet,
:it can become a problem.

    As I said.  People are arguing about keepalives without knowing how they
    work.

    NO!  I will repeat that:  NO.  There is NO significant bandwidth.   Every
    single machine on the entire internet could turn on keepalives and you
    would not notice the difference.

    Someone give me a sledgehammer!  No, make that two!

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <dil...@backplane.com>