On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Garrett Wollman
<woll...@hergotha.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
      In article <alpine.bsf.2.11.1407251459370.72...@wonkity.com> you write:

      >Writing "an article" is hard.  Writing a small section on how deleting
      >packages is different between pkg and, say, apt, is much easier.  The
      >scope is known.

Indeed, it's pretty trivial.

I think the sort of article Craig was looking for was more on the
order of

        apt command             pkg command
        apt-get update          pkg update (*1)
        ...                     ...

(*1) Explanation of differences between how apt behaves and how pkg
behaves.

The set of common apt operations is pretty well-known, and most of
them have direct pkg(8) equivalents.

Garrett is describing exactly what I am looking for.

I'm not looking for a complicated article explaining the internal
differences between apt and pkg.  Very few people have the
interest or patience to read that.

Providing a simple table contrasting the basic apt/yum/rpm/pkg commands
for installing/upgrading/deleting packages is mostly what is needed.

This gave me a flashback to the last time somebody said "Oh, I just want a simple little program." :)

We need to show people that installing packages on FreeBSD is
not like the "bad old pkg_add days" which people have bad memories of.  We need
to show that pkg is as good as what people are used to on modern Linux
distributions.

The wiki should be ideal for this. Start a table, fill in what you can, and others can fill in the other parts.