In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Andrew Gallatin w
rites:

>Mark Murray writes:
> > Hi
> >
> > The attached patch gets done by me any time I set up a FreeBSD
> > box (I like lots of VTYs and X on ALT-F12).
> >
> > Any objections to my committing this?
>
>I object.
>
>Most of my machines are headless without video cards and use a serial
>console.  With devfs this means that /dev/ttyv[1-N] do not exist and
>getty bitches like this:
>
>Sep 26 11:00:11 monet getty[543]: open /dev/ttyv1: No such file or directory
>
>Its an incredible pain in the ass to get spammed by these things on a
>9600 baud serial console while you're editing ttys to turn the damned
>things off.   I don't want to have to have 4 more lines of spam to
>deal with when installing a new server.
>
>If you also fix getty to silently ignore the problem and go to sleep
>forever, then I withdraw my objection.

I think the right thing to do is to make getty check for DEVFS, an
if found just got to sleep.

The correct way to check for devfs is to try to read the sysctl
variable "vfs.devfs.generation", if that succeeds, DEVFS is there
and the above failure is non-fatal.

It can be argued that it is never fatal though.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956