[picking a random message to reply to]

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 03:12:50PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 11:40 AM -0700 10/29/02, Raymond Kohler wrote:
> >1) How is the speed compared to stable? I remember it being just
> >too slow some months ago and was wondering how it was improving.
>
> Seems OK to me.  Note that it's using a newer version of gcc, and
> that definitely takes longer than the 2.92 version on -stable.  So,
> if you do a lot of compiling then -current will definitely be slower
> for you.

I am experiencing a really noticable slower startup time on my very recent
-CURRENT laptop for almost all programs. The problem seems to be in getting
info in the cache, because it disappears when I start the same program again.

It is even noticable when doing a simple 'ls -l' in an uncached directory (ie
boot the laptop, cd tmp/test && ls -l), but larger things, like starting X,
take roughly two or three times as long as on -STABLE.

Note that this is all 'gut feeling'. I do not (yet) have hard numbers, but I'm
willing to provide some info if people tell me how (is a simple 'time'
sufficient? in what environment?).

I have INVARIANTS & WITNESS disabled in -CURRENT, and an /etc/mallof.conf
pointing to 'aj'.

unames:

FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Tue Oct 29 12:38:07 GMT 2002
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/local/src/CURRENT/src/sys/POUNCE

FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0: Thu Aug 29 13:20:36 CEST 2002
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/local/src/obj/local/src/STABLE/src/sys/NBWIN209

The systems hostname was changed between Aug & Oct, but it's the
same laptop, a P3-800 w/256MB memory.

Thoughts?

--Stijn

--
"Linux has many different distributions, meaning that you can probably find
one that is exactly what you want (I even found one that looked like a Unix