Vincent Poy wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Doug wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Vincent Poy wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings everyone,
> > >
> > >     What are the current good motherboards for FreeBSD for the pentium
> > > II and III?  I know on the Pentium, it was the ASUS board but for the
> > > PII/PIII, is the Abit the better board?  Also, I was wondering what is the
> > > fastest Celeron chip that can be overclocked to run at 100Mhz FSB?  Does
> > > it matter if it's Slot 1 or PPGA based?  Thanks.
> >
> >       At work we're having good results with an Intel N440BX
> > motherboard. It's a dual cpu board, running 2 PIII 500's like a champ. It
> > also has the ability to redirect all console output (like boot/bios
> > messages, etc.) to a serial console. It comes with a built in Etherexpress
> > Pro 100+ as well.
>
>         Cool... I thought the Intel motherboards weren't that good
> compared to other brands..

        Hrrmm... what about them would be "not good," and how would I test it? I
don't know enough about SMP hardware to know what to compare, but I do know
that these are working fine for us, and at the speed the cpu's are running
at I'm not sure that a few percentage points difference would be noticable.
Also, the serial console option got me big points with the boss, since we
have all sorts of remote console stuff set up in the office and the more
that can be seen while booting a troubled box the better.

> >       I have an Asus P2B at home that I've run my Celeron 300A
> > overclocked to 450 since the first of the year with no problems (and BIG
> > fans).
>
>         Hmmm, what kinda fans did you use and where can one get those?  Is
> the 300A overclocked as fast as a regular PII 450Mhz?

        I got the fans from the store that sold me the CPU. It's a double fan with
a big heat sink in the middle. http://www.thechipmerchant.com/ should do
you up. As for speed, as far as I can tell on the few benchmarks I've run,
yes, it's just as fast. Some things are actually faster since the onboard
cache for the 300A runs at full speed. The old celerons without cache are
dogs though, even if you do overclock them. If RC5 is any indication I can
do 1.2Mkeys per second when there is no other load on the system.

HTH,

Doug