On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Doug wrote:

> Vincent Poy wrote:

> > >       At work we're having good results with an Intel N440BX
> > > motherboard. It's a dual cpu board, running 2 PIII 500's like a champ. It
> > > also has the ability to redirect all console output (like boot/bios
> > > messages, etc.) to a serial console. It comes with a built in Etherexpress
> > > Pro 100+ as well.
> >
> >         Cool... I thought the Intel motherboards weren't that good
> > compared to other brands..
>
>       Hrrmm... what about them would be "not good," and how would I test it? I
> don't know enough about SMP hardware to know what to compare, but I do know
> that these are working fine for us, and at the speed the cpu's are running
> at I'm not sure that a few percentage points difference would be noticable.
> Also, the serial console option got me big points with the boss, since we
> have all sorts of remote console stuff set up in the office and the more
> that can be seen while booting a troubled box the better.

        I am not sure about the exact problems but I remember that Rodney
Grimes of FreeBSD Inc. recommended the ASUS boards over the Intel boards
for a reason.  How does the serial console option work exactly?

> > >       I have an Asus P2B at home that I've run my Celeron 300A
> > > overclocked to 450 since the first of the year with no problems (and BIG
> > > fans).
> >
> >         Hmmm, what kinda fans did you use and where can one get those?  Is
> > the 300A overclocked as fast as a regular PII 450Mhz?
>
>       I got the fans from the store that sold me the CPU. It's a double fan with
> a big heat sink in the middle. http://www.thechipmerchant.com/ should do
> you up. As for speed, as far as I can tell on the few benchmarks I've run,
> yes, it's just as fast. Some things are actually faster since the onboard
> cache for the 300A runs at full speed. The old celerons without cache are
> dogs though, even if you do overclock them. If RC5 is any indication I can
> do 1.2Mkeys per second when there is no other load on the system.

        Cool... We're actually running a Celeron 266 that is overclocked
to 400 (4.0x100Mhz) and it's fast but I wonder what level of a PII is it
comparable to since it doesn't have cache.  Does Chip Merchant let you
specify a date for the CPU's so you don't get anything earlier than that
date?

Cheers,
Vince - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]