> > > Again, it's not a fix, it's a feature.  Not being able to mess with
> > > counters (logging or otherwise) is a feature.  It may be a feature that
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > you can do without, but that decision is not to be made lightly.
> >
> > I'm _saying_ to create a completely separate counter which has nothing to
> > do with accounting.
>
> See above.

I did see above.  If the sole purpose of a counter is to turn _off_ a
feature to prevent DoS attacks, and it is clearly desirable that the
admin (or a representative entity such as a monitoring system) would
want to be able to re-enable the logging under those same terms at some
admin-specified interval, how exactly would you choose to implement this?

Please, be specific.  If zeroing a counter whose sole purpose in life is
to control logging output presents a problem for you, perhaps some other
alternative is possible.  I'm not quite sure what it would be.

... Joe