> And USB?  This reference says that you can (now? soon?) buy a
 > laptop docking station with all of the usual ports, connected
 > only by USB...
 >
 > http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?99093.piusb.htm

That thing looks very simple probably on the USB bus:

root hub
        device hub (internal)
                externally available 4 ports hub
                externally available 7 ports hub
                modem
                serial port
                parallel port
                etc.

 > Hmm.  What sort of level of nesting do we support for this sort
 > of thing?  It's probably possible to buy USB interface cards
 > that plug into ISA, PCI, SCSI?  And vice-versa?

PCI and CardBus to USB. Any one having seen a ISA or PCMCIA variant,
please let me know.

USB->SCSI: E-Shuttle from Microtech / Shuttle or in the Iomega Zip drive

Nick

--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy