Mike Smith writes:
| > > USB doesn't present a 16550A interface to the host, so I don't think
| > > that sio would have a USB attachment.
| >
| > So there's going to be manufacturer-specific terminal/serial port drivers
| > to talk to the serial ports on USB-attached laptop docking stations, like
| > the Annex ethernet terminal server things?
|
| Presuming we are able to get any documentation out of any of these
| vendors; so far USB serial ports have been one of the worst things to
| enquire about.

Yes, difficult to enquire about but fairly easy to figure out.  Soon we should
have a driver to support atleast Entrega USB -> Serial widgets.

As Nick said I can do printfs in the firmware out the serial port and had a
protype perl driver for it working.  Now I'm working on splitting
functionality between the firmware and an sio type driver.  It's going
somewhat slow due to my lack of time, knowledge and bug fixing of various
things such as the sdcc 8051 compiler.  In a couple of weeks I hope to have
my first cut working.  My goal is to be able to run tip to talk out
the serial port and then test it at 230K.

I've heard that the Belkin device is very similar.

BTW if someone commited the sdcc port more people could play with it and
write their own firmware.   BTW2 I found a bug in more port in which
it didn't install the headers for sdcc.  I guess I should pr my pr.

Doug A.