[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chuck Robey) writes:

> Boy, I sure wish Java compiled and ran natively.  I'd stop using C++
> forever.

gcc-2.95.1 + libgcj already works, at least for simple programs.  On
FreeBSD 3.x programs seem to work as long as you use statically linked
libraries (shared libraries cause the garbage collector to dump core).

There already seems to be some awt code in libgcj, I have no idea
whether it's actually functional.

And the speed isn't quite comparable to what you can achieve
lower-level languages (pretty close to the equivalent C++ code with
all methods virtual, heavy use of rtti and common-base-class-based
containers), but probably good enough for a lot of things.