> "... even though I used it on Linux for several months."
>
> I read that as meaning "the drive worked despite the fact that it was on
> Linux".

Well, just to inject a note of reality into this discussion:

1. It's quite possible that the drive and/or the cabling in this
   system has been defective all along.

2. It's equally possible that the linux driver simply doesn't report
   the errors but, as FreeBSD does, retries the failing operations.
   This would result in a system which appeared to work just fine,
   just more slowly at times (which would probably not even be
   noticed).

3. Any system I saw spitting out errors like this would get the following
   treatment, in roughly this order:

   3a) Complete check of all cables and the seating of connectors.

   3b) Examination of the drive(s) in question for any cooling or
       mounting deficiencies.  Depending on the SCSI errors in question,
       I might even investigate firmware updates for the drive(s).

   3c) Examination of the controller for correct seating and bus slot
       (in older PCI mobos, this makes a difference) as well as its
       firmware revision level.

I'd also, obviously, look into any recent FreeBSD driver updates to
see if I was running afoul of something recently added.  If nothing in
software appeared to be the culprit and I was still seeing the errors
after doing steps 3a-3c above, I'd then pop in another drive and copy
my data to it, removing the old drive afterwards and setting it aside
in my "suspect" pile.  If the errors still occurred, I'd replace the
SCSI cabling and move the old drive from the "suspect" to the "spare"
pile.  If it still didn't work, I'd move the old SCSI cabling to my
spare pile as well and replace the controller.

After that I can't tell you what I'd do next since I've never had a
problem persist after going all the way down this road. :-)

- Jordan