>    3b) Examination of the drive(s) in question for any cooling or
>        mounting deficiencies.  Depending on the SCSI errors in question,
>        I might even investigate firmware updates for the drive(s).

  I actually used to get these *exact* errors a couple of years ago on
various 2.x systems. At first, I had assumed a bug in the driver (the ahc
driver was noted as still having some bugs at the time, if I recall
correctly). The errors would rare (every month or so, but they would come
in batches). I kept upgrading, from 2.1.5, through 2.2.5 hoping that the
errors would go away. Now, my ignorance being point out, it turned out
that the errors were actually heat-induced.
  I had 2 5-year old 7200RPM drives in each of the systems, that besides
being noisy, got pretty hot. Of course, they weren't hot when I mounted
them :), and I had mounted them right next to each other in the case.
It helped a little when I spaced the drives apart from each other. Then
I found these neat full-length expansion cards which have 2 fans mounted
on them. Got that situated to circulate additional air across the drives
and never had any problem since (those systems have been running for over
a year since without incident).

  Kelly
--
Kelly Yancey  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  Richmond, VA
Director of Technical Services, ALC Communications  http://www.alcnet.com/