: I have just upgraded my system to -current w/egcs 2.95.2 and I have
: several problems with it, especially when using optimizations (-O2 and
: such)

Have you reported those problems to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>?  Bugs aren't
very likely to get fixed if no one reports them.

As for free alternatives--I don't think there are any, especially if
you are looking for something "better" than the current GCC.  The
various free C compilers I've seen over the years have been little
better than toys.

                -Ed