On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Patryk Zadarnowski wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any alternative (non-commercial) C compiler to use, or is gcc the
> > best?
> >
> > I have just upgraded my system to -current w/egcs 2.95.2 and I have
> > several problems with it, especially when using optimizations (-O2 and
> > such)
> >
> > ok I know there's the good old gcc 2.7.2.3 but a good BSD-licensed
> > compiler would be nice =)
>
> Check out TenDRA in the ports tree. Unfortunately, most ppl tend to
> use GCC extensions a lot, so you won't be able to replace gcc, but
> TenDRA certainly is a solid alternative.

With the understanding that using Tendra just for the kernel will be
painful, but (if you're determined) doable.  If you want it for building
world, you better make prior reservations at the local mental health
clinic, because YOU WILL NEED IT before you get that done.

> Pat.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C & Java programming,
New Year's Resolution:  I  | electronics, communications, and
will not sphroxify gullible| signal processing.
people into looking up     | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
fictitious words in the    |      jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)|
dictionary.                |