> > What can one say to that, apart from "I have one right here and it works
> > just fine" - not something you can say about the IA-64. 8)
>
> I'll just reach down and pat my trusty pair of manufactured-in-1993 Alpha
> 3000's on their heads...  :)
>
> Oh, forgot...  It's not new until Intel does it...  sorry...
>
> mike

You're being just plain silly.  It takes about 5 minutes with the
manuals to realize just how little AXP and IA-64 have in common: one
is a classic superscalar out-of-order design, the other is just about
the opposite: a typical explicit-ILP architecture. What makes IA-64
great is the 8 years of statistical analysis of real-life software the
architecture design team spent fine-tuning the instruction set. What
makes AXP great is the clock rates Digital/Compaq manages to pump into
the beasts ;)

And no, there's nothing fundamentally new in IA-64 apart from the fact
that they're the last kids on the block with a 64 bit chip ;)

Pat.