:...
:and Linux essentially treats hardware page tables as TLBs.
:
:The problem with the above approach is duplication of information between
:Linux page tables and hardware page tables and inefficient use of memory
:for page tables.
:
:I think OSes like FreeBSD which don't have a concept of machine independent
:page table are essentially free to do anything in the hat layer and thus
:have more flexibility.

    If I understand the hardware hash table method correctly, then
    I think the absolute best choice for FreeBSD is to use that method
    as it will allow us to get rid of the scaleability problems we have
    with the pv_entry_t scheme we use for IA32.  The number of pv_entry_t's
    in an IA64 architecture wind up being fixed.  How big can we make the
    hardware-assisted hash table?

    Also, a hash table scheme is a much better fit for a 64 bit address
    space model, especially with sparse mappings.  The MIPS R4K and later
    all use a hash table scheme and it seems to work well for them.

:I'd love to have technical discussions about the IA-64 architecture
:from an OS perspective, if anyone on this list is interested.
:
:Since last September, I've moved on to a new daytime job, which has
:nothing to do with operating systems or kernels. I have a limited amount
:of spare time and I'm willing to help out with a IA-64 port, if the
:FreeBSD project decides to pursue it.
:
:       -Arun
: