In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Dan Nelson writes:
:
: In the last episode (Jun 07), Alfred Perlstein said:
: > Brech, Cary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [000607 10:33] wrote:
: > > Lucent recently introduced a product that uses FreeBSD as its OS.
: > > We are currently contemplating adding the ability to "Hot Swap" the
: > > custom network interface cards we are developing for the next
: > > release.  The question we have is does FreeBSD support the ability
: > > to hot swap network interface cards?
: > >
: > > Thanks in advance for your assistance!
: >
: > We can do pcmcia hot swap, but it gets hairy if the interface is
: > in use, the interface should be 'downed' before removing afaik.
:
: Or do you mean PCI hot-plug?  FreeBSD currently doesn't support
: powering off PCI slots or re-probing the PCI bus after bootup, both of
: which are required for hot-plug.  I don't know how hard it would be to
: add, either.  You'll probably have to ask -hackers about that (cc and
: reply-to reset there).

The compact PCI hot swap spec isn't implemented in FreeBSD at this
time.  The compact PCI cards will work w/o the hot swap stuff just
fine.  The hot swap spec doesn't include a register set to program to,
as far as I could tell in my limited researches, so each chipset needs
its own driver to add hot swap capibilities.

Warner